Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Impala SS convertible














I have a thing about Impalas; I try to stay away from them, unless they're of certain years. Sadly, most Impalas in general, at least out here, fall victim to cliche donked out, or lowrider style customizing; very few are either left stock, or turned into tasteful vehicles. This striking 1962 SS convertible is a rather neat way to spice up one's night. While I generally don't care for the restaurant this example is parked outside of, it certainly has presence among the rather lame-duck cookie-cutter BMWs and Mercedes that clutter up the spaces directly in front of the business.
As I know from doing research beforehand, the SS package wasn't always a performance package. In the 1960s, it generally was an option package that consisted of plusher interior appointments, and in this case extensive use of aluminum on the exterior trim and inside on items such as the dash and glove box. This made the SS models more noticeable from more pedestrian Chevys , but also added a touch of Pontiac-or-Buick-esque class to the cheaper Chevrolet alternative.
Most will be quick to point out the wheels; I don't really have an opinion on them to be honest. Yes, they're custom, and no, they're not all that noteworthy. Since the rest of the car looks completely bone stock, I'd rather see a more correct wheel and tire package here. Not only would a set of stockers compliment the car rather well, it would save the owner from looking like he just half-assed his wheel and tire choice simply by going to ebay and buying the first set of wheels he saw.
As I'm not a real expert on what the interior is supposed to look like, I'll say this; this one looks pretty top notch, as far as I'm concerned. If what I see here is correct, then I'm pretty sure that the owner babies his vehicle to no end. The red upholstery looks absolutely stunning on contrast with the chrome and aluminum trim, and to be honest, it's the only color that works with a black car-- it's just right. It exudes the right amount of class, without being too flashy. For me, it's the only way I'd have an Impala, convertible or not.
If I were to have a '62 Impala, one can be absolutely positive that mine would closely resemble what you see here. I'd maybe plus one or two the wheel and tire combo, but other that, it's perfect. All it needs is a nice beachside road, a wonderful sunset, and a good destination to be perfect. To me, an Impala is the definition of an American cruiser. And that's probably what Chevrolet intended in the first place.

No comments: