Thursday, February 16, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS







I usually stay far away from posting modified cars on my blog, but this week is different; I chose to focus on modified (for better or for worse) examples of some of Chevrolet's most popular nameplates; we saw the Impala, we saw the Chevelle, and we saw an example of a typical Chevrolet station wagon. Now it's the Monte Carlo's turn. Often turned into donks and other automotive atrocities, the Monte Carlo lives out a rather played-out life in the car customizing scene. But, since so many have been customized, it's almost a guarantee that no two look exactly alike. Although the modifications shown on this example would earn a "D" or "F" on my automotive coolness scale, I have to give the owner credit for definitely thinking outside the box.
Outside, the stock exterior has given way to rather unique silver metalfake paint job, which has further been slathered with dark cherry red flames; while the said color combination looks decidedly tasteful on paper, the real world tells an entirely different story. The 15" rally wheels have been replaced, too, with items much bigger (and wider) than the stock rollers. Gone are any notions of the former muscle car this Monte Carlo SS was, because the only thing muscle about this set of wheels is the amount of muscles the owner will have to use if he ever decides to rotate his tires.
Inside is where the biggest change took place; velour and vinyl there is not. Instead, the whole interior has been redone in a way that more or less screams "Seward area car customizing shop"; it's the complete opposite of the word "classy". While I understand that the owner of the Monte Carlo has a set theme going on (red and silver, I presume), the execution leaves quite a lot to be desired. First off, painting the dash is a definite no-no unless its done correctly. Second of all.. the door panels-- we already know this is a Chevrolet product, and I would hope the owner does too; it is his car after all. The last thing (and the easiest to make right) is that cheap little steering wheel. I do realize most "donk" owners often replace the steering wheel for style points I assume, but good lord.. can we choose something a little less toy-like? Retract that; this whole car looks like a caricature of its former self, so I think that little steering wheel does have a place.
While I am definitely no fan of this particular Monte Carlo, I do have to applaud the owner for sticking with a normal color scheme; the colors chosen could've been alot worse. Now, if only this could be said for the execution of the rest of the customization. Granted, I have seen quite a few donked-out Monte Carlos in my days of shooting, but honestly this one takes the cake. I'm almost ashamed to be writing so negatively about it because the owner seemed to be a pretty nice guy. Shame his taste in people skills are better than his taste in automotive modifications.

No comments: