Thursday, February 2, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: BMW Z8











I've never really discussed the idea of "modern classics" on my blog; I think it's time to rectify that. As a genuine car enthusiast rather than a fanboy, my automotive tastes vary greatly. I am what one would call a man of "fine taste"; I like exotics almost as much as I like classic muscle cars; I prefer oddball American cars to more common vehicles from the era, and I generally have a soft spot for "ugly cars." What does this have to do with the Z8 you ask?
The BMW 507 was a stunning car; it drew praise all over the world, from its home in Germany to right here in the US. However, there is much debate over whether retro can be done right. While many people say that retro can never be done right, I am on the opposite side of the fence; I tend to adore almost all of the "retro" vehicles with a few exceptions.
In the mid 1990s (1997 I think), BMW launched the Z07 concept car at the Tokyo Auto Salon; it was a major hit, and it was automatically destined for production majorly due to public response. However, the cost of owning BMW's retro piece didn't exactly come cheap. I can't remember what they sold for new, but even a pre-owned one commands $100,000 to $125,000. Certainly not shabby from an investment standpoint. But that's the problem. BMW designed these cars to be driven-- hence the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline, but so far, I haven't actually seen one of these being driven in anger-- and that angers me.

No comments: