Thursday, November 24, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac LeMans 326


















When shooting, I often find the best cars tucked slightly out of sight from plain view. In this case, the finding occurred behind a repair shop on Park Avenue, I think it was. Anywhoo, I was riding down Lake, for some reason, I decided to take a left onto a little side street behind Park, and go down a block. I don't think I've shot a car this comprehensively before, and I certainly hope the opportunity arises again soon.
Every once in a blue moon, I come across a neglected muscle car, but its often tucked away on private property, be it in someone's yard, behind a house, sitting in a driveway with a tarp and cinder blocks chocking the wheels, you know, just the casual "urban automotive decay" as I like to call it. This find was a rare breed if there every was one. Not only was it in relatively plain view, the shop it was behind was closed for the day, so no employees harassed me or gave me any sort of hell.
To be honest, I'm not much up on muscle cars, but I do know that this poor LeMans was probably a badass during its heyday. Equipped with a standard bench seat, four on the floor, and a tri-power 326, this sucker meant business. While not quite a "GTO", the LeMans 326 was pretty much a slight step down the Pontiac performance totem-pole, with the anemic 215 slant six-powered cars as the bottom feeders. Don't ask how it handled, or what its skidpad numbers were, because obviously this badass meant to "live life a quarter mile at a time."
I know I usually give my overall critique of the vehicle here, but honestly, I had so much fun shooting this one, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. The paint, as any abandoned car goes, looks pretty forlorn, but at least it's complete save for the rusty and dented rear quarter panel. The trim, too, looks to be in impeccable shape, aside from pitting. And really, when you put into perspective the winters this car probably sees since its sitting out behind a repair shop, it's pretty amazing to think this once-boulevard-bruiser is still alive and trying to kick. Even with Pontiac gone, this poor muscle car seems as its saying "save me".
It's not often I get scared, or get feelings for an abandoned car, but this brute saddened me. How can someone let something so awesome, so big and brash, so menacing just linger in the cold, damp grass? It sickens me that there are people who would rather spend their time churning out half-ass rebuilt wrecks than save a muscle car icon. I know it isn't a GTO, but it still has its place in GM's hertiage-rich history. Here's hoping I'm not the only person to see this poor LeMans this way. Someone save this LeMans 326. Now.

1 comment:

Art Tidesco said...

Excellent find I hope you find many more like this :-)