Saturday, November 26, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Austin Healey Sprite








Now, here's a rarity! A classic British car not found at Quality Coaches. I kid, I kid, partially. I do find a lot of my quirky, classic finds in front of that building, because honestly, that area is a haven for British cars. The surrounding neighborhood isn't too shabby for spotting either, to be honest. Parked along Lyndale Avenue in a near Uptown neighborhood, this wasn't the only classic car on the street. However, this classic Brit was the only car in the area I bothered to shoot.
Finished in white (sensing a pattern here?), this weathered example looked like it surely has seen better days. The paint, while not totally awful, could use some repair, as could the trim (since it was pretty much nonexistent). While I'm not really a fan of "Spridgets" as they're often called, I would like to see this white one done up in another color. Perhaps a shade of dark metallic blue?
The wheels, too, need some attention. While I do realize this rolling stock is the MG/Healey version of your basic steelie, it adds a dash of generic-ness to this once awesome British roadster. I would love to see this example adorned with classic wires, or maybe, just maybe some Minilites. I would also add some meatier tires and mess with the suspension a little bit; nothing too drastic, though.
As far as fixing this Sprite up, I think I'd add a driver's side roll hoop (in black) and maybe remove both bumpers. I know it sounds cliche at this point, but I'd probably make this into a nice little SCCA/Historic race car. I think while it would be a nice driver, it could be turned into a cute little car that would enjoy track time as well as street use.

2 comments:

Art Tidesco said...

Wow ! A Sprite without Minilites or wire wheels and not much trim but plenty of original patina, just the sort of car I might be in the market for, I wouldn't change a thing ! Another top find on The Automotive Way.

Colin Dayton Stacy said...

thanks man, I appreciate it :)