Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Galaxie 500 convertible











I know, I've featured quite a few Galaxies, but most older than this particular car is. I pegged this as a 1969 model (judging by the license plate to be honest), but I'm not quite sure of it being so. I'm honestly not quite "there", when it comes to old Fords. To be honest, I don't know that much about them. I like the styling, don't get me wrong, but tell me a specific model and/or year, and I'd be lying if I said I knew everything about it. Hell, this car, I knew was a Galaxie by the taillights and general front end details. The only reason I know, is because I saw its sedan counterpart earlier in the year. While it seems most post 1978ish Fords are rusty beaters here in Minnesota, older cars aren't quite at that stage yet. This one, at least, looked to be a pretty clean car. Sure, it had some mild paint warp, and the doors weren't exactly flush with the rest of the body, but its big, its old, and it gets driven.
Since this example doesn't have collector plates on it, I can only assume its a daily driver. What a fine daily driver this must be, too. There's gotta be nothing else in the world like cruising through the hoards of Hondas and Toyotas in something so big, so powerful. Because its probably heavy, it likely isn't very fast, even with a stonkin' V8 under the hood. But that isn't why you drive one of these. You drive one to be seen. As I watched the owner drive away, I noticed more than a few people give thumbs up, and/or stare jawslacked. And to be honest, who could blame the onlookers? Isn't the point of being in the classic car hobby to be seen?

No comments: