Monday, November 28, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Land Rover Series I







Out of all the older vehicles I've featured, this first-run Land Rover has to be one of the coolest. I know I've featured a proper Range Rover County on here before, but this thing is so much cooler; it's just.. it's a proper Brit. It's one of the those vehicles that looks at home parked in modern traffic, or out in the country in front of a mom and pop store. It's got that certain "anywhere" vibe to it.
Originally, I shot this with the intention of simply writing about the condition, and what I could do to make it better, but honestly, I like it the way it is. The Army green paint is likely original, as are the knobby tires on stock steel wheels. Heck, for all I know nothing has been done outside except a thorough restore. As one would expect, this is far from today's Land Rovers much like a Willys is far from Jeep Wrangler. Emphasizing toughness over creature comforts, this Land Rover was all about being through around and getting dirty; let's try that with an LR2. I dare you.
On the inside, much like the exterior, this truck was pretty bare bones. Obviously there's no navigation system, and the heated seats are courtesy of either your ass, or the sun. But with a vehicle like this, modern amenities would be pointless. Would you really want to ruin a Garmin nav frolicking through a mud hole? I didn't think so.
This example, although far from my favorite old Landie, is honestly one of my favorite non-car classic sightings; It reminds me of my trips overseas. This might sound cliche, but I think these are England's equivalent of the Ford Explorer in regards to popularity, and the fact that even when old, these things are still relatively common.
Would I sport this one? You bet I would. I'd likely use this as it was intended. Show me a mud hole, and give me a little off-road course, and I'm set. When I return, you can guarantee it won't be shiny.

1 comment:

Art Tidesco said...

As you suggest designed for use as a cheap tractor on the sheep farms of Wales. Amazing condition and with the correct pattern tyres !

I did an HPI Check, google it, on the registration and came up with a 1997 cc / 122 cui motor, sometimes these checks will reveal the year of manufacture.

Cool find Jay !