Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevy S-10 LS 4.3








On the same vein as yesterday's post, here is another truck. This time, although the example shown is quite a bit newer, it still pushes twenty years old-- and it shows. These first generation GM S trucks aged well in the styling department. Carrying the same basic look from 1982 to 1993, they were sold by the hundred thousands; pickups, Blazers, Jimmys, Bravadas, two doors, extended cabs, two wheel drive, four wheel drives, four cylinder, V6, the choices and configurations were endless. Coming in at a hair under $6500 for a base model when new in 1982, the price slowly crept upward toward that $10,000 mark. Not too bad, but it still was a basic truck.
While the first generation lasted until 1993, it got its a midcycle update in 1990, which included a more modern and (to me, anyway) better looking front fascia. Unlike the pre-1990 trucks, this facelift allowed for a black grille, and paintable bumpers. It also gave way to a slightly more modern wheel and tire setup.
Inside this generation S-Series, however, was the same basic package that had been around since 1982-- and it showed. While the outside looked relatively up to date, the interior was a very barebones hark back in time to when car interiors (for basic vehicles) were pretty damn ugly. Flat, hard surfaces, small and antiquated controls and knobs, flimsy metal square seltbelt buckles, big steering wheel with small center area, just a bunch of general cheapness and utilitarian details not found even in base trucks anymore.
Being a Minnesota truck, this particular example is far from pristine. It's pretty unusual to see hood rust, though, so I'm betting this poor thing has been repainted a time or two. Although, since it has all its badges in place, I'm not so sure it has. Aside from the basic rust damage, everything else appears to be in semi-decent shape for its age. Heck, even the ever-so-missing centercaps seem to be intact--certainly a rare feat, especially on such a workhorse-prone truck.
Since most of these first gen workhorse trucks are the four-cylinder variety, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this version was indeed a V6 extended cab with a bench. I know, I know, it's probably not rare, and I'm weird for liking this, but the idea of a mix-and-match truck seems pretty cool. I don't think I've ever seen this combo before, and I doubt I will ever again.

2 comments:

Art Tidesco said...

Is this the same base vehicle as the GMC Sonoma and Ferrari killing Syclone was based on ?

Either way great to see an 8'ft bed that never has to be made :-)

Colin Dayton Stacy said...

yup. I wish I could shoot a Syclone... I love those trucks. Same with Typhoons. :)