Monday, September 27, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Electra Estate Wagon








Up until the mid-1980s, when minivans took over, station wagons were the primary choice of transport for bigger families; they were made in several different sizes by most of the automakers in the US. GM had a huge family of wagons, from all of its brands. It seems as if Buick is the most common car maker to see here in Minnesota, because the majority of my domestic street finds are older Buicks.
It's been awhile since I'd seen a clean 1980s wagons, much less a GM wagon. I've seen Caprices and even the occasional Oldsmobile, but I rarely see the Buick version. I'm glad I shot this when I did. I haven't seen it since, nor do I think I'll see it again.
From afar, this particular Buick Electra looked pretty good. The paint was in great shape, even most of the trim. However, as you can see, the fake wood applique was far from being in great shape. Even up close, the paint and trim looked pretty nice. No bondo, no rust, or any sign of wear. From the looks of things, this is probably a one-owner car. It doesn't suffer from any apparent accident damage, either. I just hope it doesn't earn any damage this winter from our wonderful drivers.
As it sits, though, I'd gladly drive this. Maybe I'd swap the 307 out for something else. Actually, no. I'd leave it the way it is; swapping out the lethargic stock mill might ruin the character of this car.

No comments: