Thursday, September 9, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Audi R8 5.2







Not often at all do I feature modern cars, or cars still on sale today. If a new car pops up on here that isn't a "review", there's a reason behind that; rarity. Now, Audis themselves aren't rare around Uptown at all-- I see A4s and even the sexy A5/S5 by the dozens now, and A3s aren't that far behind. The R8, though, is a different beast entirely.
This car is sex on wheels as far as new cars go. At nearly $160k for the V10, it's far from cheap, although a Lamborghini Gallardo (a pricier R8 LMAO) will set you back an additional $20K. I'm glad that the owner of this particular V10 didn't opt for the hideous standard wheels. The carbon package, which includes carbon sideblades and interior accessories, sets this car off nicely. In addition to contrasting the Ibis White paint,the appearance is more akin to that of a racecar.
Now, about that powerplant; the Lamborghini-derived V10 produces 525 horses and 317 lb/ft of torque, enabling the R8 to reach 60 MPH in just over 3.5 seconds. Top speed is north of 190 MPH, too, so the R8 V10 isn't exactly slow. I do question whether the 105 horse advantage over the 4.2 is worth the $30k jump in MSRP. The 4.2 does 60MPH in 4.4 seconds and has a top speed only 10 MPH slower. Besides a racetrack, I don't see how one would ever tap into the potential of either engine. I will give the nod to the 5.2 for its exhaust note, though. My god. It sounds so..sweet. Not many cars make my eyes stop blinking and make me take my iPod out of my ears to hear it take off. Okay, so I think I did justify getting the 5.2 versus the 4.2.

No comments: