Thursday, June 10, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: BMW E34 525i Touring








Before the Bangle-era hit, BMW's 5 Series lineup were nicely styled cars. Every single one, from the E28 to the E39 looked handsome. While the sedans were pretty common, the wagons, or Touring in BMW-speak, were much less so. Today, finding a clean BMW 5 Series wagon in nice shape is quite a feat, especially in the rustbelt.
When I saw this example, I was stunned. I inspected it carefully, making sure I didn't see any rust or obvious damage. Astonishingly, this particular car was rust-free. On went my new Nikon, and I began clicking away. The white paint is clean, and appears untouched, although I'd prefer it in black or dark red, or even pine green. The wheels are factory BMW fare, and while I like them for their originality, I'd much prefer BBS shoes.
I didn't look too close at the interior because it was night-time, but what I did see looked remarkably well-kept. No tears, rips, dashcracks, or any other obvious signs of wear and tear. I was, and still am, quite amazed.
Now, if this example were mine, I'd pony up the bucks to put on some 18"x8" BBS LMs, lower it a couple inches, and black out the taillights. And I'd throw in the V10 from the E60 M5. Fast DTMWagen anyone?

No comments: