Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Toyota Pickup SR-5 Longbed










I've seen more than a few older Japanese pickups scattered around the city, but this is one of a handful I've actually shot. Like the first one I blogged, this one, too, is an earlier model. Also, like the first one I shot, this one, too, suffers from all-too-common surface rust that plaques early Japanese iron. But, unlike the first one I shot, this one appears to be more intact.
Introduced in 1979, and staying in production till 1983, this is Toyota's third generation pickup truck. Much smaller than today's Tacoma, Toyota pickups prior to 1988 competed heavily with other Japanese trucks such as the long-forgotten Mitsubishi Mighty Max and its sister truck, the Dodge Ram D-50. Same story goes for the Ford Ranger and its predecessor, the Courier and Mazda B twin.
This example, like many other surviving Japanese vehicles, is in fairly rough shape, but overall it's in decent condition given its age. Yes, rust is prevalent on the exterior, and no, all of the trim isn't there, but its complete. Even the stock Toyota decals circa 1980 have survived for nearly 30 years. I wish the doors hadn't been replaced because the complete graphics would certainly be a neat touch. Heck, I even got a kick out of seeing all the correct SR-5 and "Long Bed" badging.
Man, old school Japanese vehicle sure are neat! They combine quirkiness and neat touches with clean, simple designs. Pity about the whole rusting and weak steel thing, though, because the world needs more surviving Japanese iron. If my city had more stuff like this, and less bondobuckets, I'd be a happy man. On second thought, I take that back. If my city was filled with awesomeness, I don't think have as much fun shooting as I do.

No comments: