Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Diecast of the Day: Autoart VW Beetle RSi









I love quirky cars, I love German cars, and I love small hatchbacks. When I saw this little guy, I was smitten. I loved it, and I had to have it. I didn't feel like paying eBay prices, either. $100+ for this? No. Try again. I can't remember how much we stole it for, but I got it from a former friend.
Yes, I realize the run-of-the-mill Beetle isn't a sports car, but this is no ordinary Beetle. Packing the VW R32's six, and all wheel drive, this could've been VW's answer to the venerable Subaru WRX lineup. However, since it was only produced in 1999, and had a base price close to that of a contemporary Porsche 996, not many were produced, and even fewer found homes.
Auto Art reproduced this model very well. Unlike some of their newer offerings, this oldie but goodie shows no signs of being rushed to circulation, nor does it show any signs of sloppiness/mass production. The paint quality is even, and lacks impressions found on many of today's budget models. The VW logos and other trim are accurately replicated, right down to those VW logos on the BBS-designed wheels. (The wheels later showed up on the VW Golf R32).
The interior is nicely done, too. The baseball leather is greatly replicated, and the seats themselves are nicely molded. The flocking on the steering wheel is good, too, although it looks aftermarket. I don't think I'd mind if they left the flocking off.
Overall, this Beetle is a nice diecast, and it's definitely not something every collector is going to have. My advice is always, be yourself, and buy models you like. And that I did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like all your die cast entries, Colin, but this one is particularly top notch! The photos are great and the writing is fresh and crisp. Keep at it!