Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sightings: Porsche Carrera GT











I usually don't feature modern cars on here unless I'm doing a critique of a new car, or an upcoming car, but I made an exception here. The Porsche Carrera GT is one of my favorite cars, and it's no doubt a beautiful car.
The 5.7L V10 is astounding, in both detail and sound. From the artistic intakes, to the nicely detailed valve covers, and even down to the engine hoses, this workmanship displayed here proves Porsche stands for beauty. The sound of this powerplant is like nothing else. I swear the first time I heard a CGT, I got chills on my spine from the noise. It really is that incredible.
The rest of the car is nothing to sneeze at either. Blending race car-like features and track with the styling cues of classic and contemporary cars, the Carrera GT is probably the highest point in modern Porsche aesthetics. With its biggish headlamps and wide, low front air dam, you can tell this car means business. The side profile even further enhances the "business" effect with big stonking brakes peering out from inside the aluminum wheels. Go out back, and that's where the real madness begins.
To casual observer, the Carrera GT is nothing more than a "car that people with lost of money have". To car guys, and specifically, Porschefiles, the beauty lies in the details. My favorite part about the car (aside from the engine) is the rear valance. It just looks-sculpted almost, rather than simply "built". Everything has a purpose, a specific function. Even the wheel centercaps appear to be designed to perfection. This is not your father's Oldsmobile Intrigue, nor is it your grandpa's 10 year old Mercury Grand Marquis. The rear valance is a beautiful mesh "quilt if you will, with a little diffuser underneath. My favorite part of the rear valance is the "gunbarrel" exhausts. Poking through the valance, these guys help others around hear the V10 creature as it erupts to life, and chases after Ferraris. It looks like Porsche fitted the taillights last, and that's probably what they did.
Want one of these? Bring money, lots of money, because something this beautiful isn't cheap by any means. But I will have one someday. I promise.

No comments: