Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon two door








When sightseeing the city via bike, I encounter quite a mix of interesting cars and trucks. However, a precious few of the vehicles I see are from the 1980s and older, and of those, even less are in good condition for their age.
I do still see quite a few Oldsmobiles, though, but most of the ones I encounter are of the Cutlass Ciera/Supreme variety so they aren't that interesting to me. I scoff at them, usually, to be honest. However, an old Olds (bad pun I know) is a rare sight because in my area, they're less common than Chevys of the era.
This Cutlass is a pretty nice example of an oft-forgotten bodytyle. The brown metallic paint, which seems as if it should be an oxymoron, is oh-so-70s, and the Keystone rolling stock match the paint color PERFECTLY. With a vynil roof, this car is pure disco era. Which is good, because it means it hasn't been either donked, or modernized in any way. The interior seemed to be in nice shape, too, which is a rarity of most of the classics I find scattered about the City of Lakes.
One thing does leave my imagination coming into play, though. Even though it likely has a 350/350 combo, I can't help but imagine this car with a 455 and a CB radio being driven exceedingly fast down a dark, winding dirt road with Waylon Jennings cranked up through slightly cracked windows. Oh, how it would be to own a vintage two-door barge.

No comments: