Friday, January 15, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevy Malibu Classic Wagon





First off, let me apologize for the lack of good pictures of this car. This is the first, and only time I've seen it, and the lighting was awful. But, the horrible shadows didn't stop me from attempting pictures.
I can't remember the last time I've seen a Chevy of this vintage, let alone a wagon. The paint finish was dull, and in need of obvious work, but it at least had no visible rust. The wheels were a little on the generic side, but they look good in a "1980s" way. The 93X stickers complete the generic 1980s vibe the car has, so I'd say leave em on.
However, if this was my car, I'd do a prompt engine swap; out with the 350 and in with a 454/TH400 combo. Or, even crazier, drop in an LS7. I'd keep the exterior looking as is though. It'd be a good sleeper. To add to my badass sleeper build, the tires would be replaced with wide, stickier meats fitted to widened versions of these crappy wheels. Or, for shits, I'd thrown on some powdercoated Chevy rallyes, but that might give away my intent of a sleeperwagon. Not good. Need to be less conspicuous when attempted to race ZR-1s and 997 Turbos off the line. To add to the fast-in-a-straight-line goodies, I'd beef up the suspension too, and throw on some anti-roll bars for the front and rear and drop the big wagon about an inch over stock. Corner killing much? Sure, why not? It's a big car, but I could make it a fun big car.

No comments: