Sunday, January 10, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sightings: Mercury Cougar XR7






Normally, I wouldn't shoot any of the '77-'79 Ford T-Birds or Mercury Cougars, because they're still relatively common around here; in fact, most I see are complete beaters. But, every so often, I see a clean one. This is no exception. Showing just 37k miles from new, this XR7 is impeccable condition. Not only is everything intact, it's in showroom condition to boot.
The stock paint is perfect, with near new-car shine. All the tires are correct, and match, and the wheels are the original ones that came on this car. The interior is in great shape, too, as would be expected of a barely 40k miler.
If I was in the market for a CougBird of this generation, I'd definitely give this one a lookover. Granted, I could buy one for less than the $7500 asking price, but it'd be in terrible condition, and quite possibly, un-drivable.
The only downside I can think of for this generation big body Ford, is the serial killer vibe that comes along with these cars. Son of Sam had one, Christoper Wilder had one, and one of the members of the Texas Seven had one. Even our good friend BTK had one. Not exactly highlights, but at least they proved popular for, ahem, certain people. Only if finding a nice one was as easy in 2010 as it was in 1988.

1 comment:

Webmom said...

Serial killer vibe! That's good!