Monday, January 11, 2010

Diecast of the Day: Bburago Porsche 996












Here's something from my childhood. Bought at the age of 10 or 11, this Bburago 996 has been with my for half my life. Finished in black (semi-metallic), the paint is not up to today's standards, even for a Bburago. It doesn't help that over time, this thing has been caked with more dust than an abandoned house, had Windex and Pledge sprayed on it, and more likely than not, had animal fur all over it. (I grew up with dogs and cats.) The wheels are that typical plastic semi-metallic that doesn't look realistic, whether it's the C5 Corvette, the 996, or the Ferrari 360 Modena. It looks gaudy, almost, but it's better than the Lambo ripoff wheels Bburago throws on their 1:24s. The interior isn't bad, but I don't have any high-end Porsche diecasts to compare it to, so I'll leave it as that. It looks semi-decent considering this model was made in the late '90s.
Opening features are always nice, and this Bburago does deliver. However, because of age, the doors, and rear hood cover tend to open themselves when moved. The hood, however, is a PITA to get open, and usually when it does come open, it wants to close itself again. I can't blame the qaulity of this Porsche for those faults, however, because, as I said earlier, it's a 10+ year old diecast.
Considering its age, it holds up pretty well. Unlike a few of my Maistos, this one seems to be put together rather well, as it appears to be withstand the passing of time decently. Everything is still where Bburago put it, the doors and trunk do open fluently (although sometimes by themselves), and the wheels still steer and roll. Would I buy another one? Probably not. Will I hang on to this one? Most likely yes. It's one of the few models that survived my destructive childhood.

No comments: