Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Estate Wagon










Following hot on the heels of yesterday's post of obscure GM vehicles, is this Buick Estate Wagon. While cars like these were common in their day, they're rarely seen today. Combined with the rising sales of SUVs, and now crossovers, the station wagon in America is now almost obsolete. But, that doesn't stop a wagon connoisseur from having downtime. It just means I need to seek out more classic wagons. And that I have done.
Seldom seen anymore thanks to demolition derbiers, these wagons are now rare as hen's teeth, so I was ecstatic when I found one in Minnesota, let alone in good shape. The paint on this example isn't bad for its age, and the chrome trim and badging is all there. With GM styling and branding, this classic Buick has the presence of a Cadillac from certain angles. One member from a car site I visit said the front end of this beast reminds him of such. The wheels are tires are in great shape for their age, too, but the tires don't count since they're modern radials.
Although I didn't look at the interior too much since I was focused on the amazement of seeing a huge wagon in the flesh, I can't really comment on it. However, I do recall the interior being in fairly good shape with no rips or tears, which is a pretty good idea of how well the owner prides his or her vehicle.
While luxury marques continue to produce wagons in small numbers, the days of the American wagon are all but over, sadly. However, I can see wagons making a comeback, if more marques would try to introduce wagons to replace slow-selling versions of crossovers. Are you listening, GM? Bring back the wagons to replace the smaller crossovers. The CTS wagon is a start. Now it needs a stablemate.

No comments: