Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Minneapolis Street Sightings: VW Rabbit (Caddy)










Whoa. This is a hell of a find. Yeah I realize it may not seem to be much, but an old VW still running is a feat. Guess the diesels aren't bad as far as reliability goes. I see diesel Dubs running around daily, but none of this vintage. Guess the "other German marque" reliable diesels too.
This example of a VW Rabbit "Caddy" is a rather clean one. The paint isn't in too bad of shape since it IS still one color. The hubcaps are original too, and I'm glad the owner hasn't slapped a set of custom wheels on it. Or worse--stretched tires and wide BBS wheels. Not that I hate that style, cause I don't. I don't think every single damn VW/Audi needs that stance, classic or not.
I'm sure the engine is no powerhouse, since it's tuned for economy rather than torque. Expect to see 35-45 MPG in these guys, thus deeming a Prius or Civic Hybrid useless. Oh, and with this VW, you can modify it to accept a modern VW TDI. Or an Audi 2.0 TFSI. Or a VR6. But, in truth, I'd rather see this one kept original.

No comments: