Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Diecast of the Day: AutoArt Nissan Skyline GT-R R34









This is one my first AutoArts, and the only one that I've had since about my teen years that's survived (yes, tortured AutoArts, too). The fit and finish on this R34 is impeccable. The hood and boot don't stay open by themselves anymore, but the model is old; it wears with time. The whiteness is still new, and the interior is still in top notch shape, as are the wheels and trim pieces. This is from a time where AA cared about quality rather than quantity, so the fit and finish is above standards for the new ones. The R34 has been one of my favorite cars since it's launch in 1999, and I wanted one in a non cliche color; everyone has the oh-so-common-blue (not that its a bad choice however), and the grays seem to be common, too. But a white one? Unheard of! So that's why my copy is white. I tend to go for combos that replicate how I'd have one done up. Yes, white and gray is typical for a car such as Camry, a Skyline seems to "exotic" to wear the combo; but it works. In the shadows, the white does bring out the lines of the car, and even better, the white works in coordination with the light to hide some details while bringing out others. For $90 4 or 5 years ago, this HAS to be my best bang for the dollar in recent memory--save from my $70 UT Cossie I scored this month.

No comments: