Sunday, June 28, 2009

Minneapolis Street Sightings: Buick Riviera











I showed you the 1980s model Riviera (I think it's an '84 but I'm not too sure) and now I bring you this specimen. This Riviera is a second generation model, which ran from 1966 to 1970, and offered three V8 engine choices--the famous Buick Nailhead 425, a 430, and the big honkin' 455 incher.
This example seems to be deteriorating, and it's quite a shame, really. Even though it had current plates, it didn't appear that this car has moved since god knows how long. The paint is sun warped, the dash is cracked, and the wheels seemed to be stuck into the tires. Not a good sign.
The interior didn't fare to be in much better shape, I'm afraid. The dash was warped beyond repair, and every single piece of chrome or trim in the thing had been mauled begone recognition--this car beckons for more than a simple resto job.
I did like that the chrome was mostly intact, so this car can still lend parts--if the owner does indeed decide to strip it rather than using the cash for clunkers crap on it.
The neighborhood this car was resting in led me to these conclusions; ratty houses with taped and boarded up windows, doors with metal burglar bars, and at each street corner sat a waiting cop car and a matching bait. In a way I'm glad this thing is in sad shape as some gangsta won't try to "jack da whip". I want to save it, though, but I'm afraid this example is past its prime. And that's a damn shame because second to the 1963-1965s these are my favorite Rivieras.

No comments: