Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Automotive Guilty Pleasures: Lincoln Continental




The first in this sub-series is the 1995-1999 Lincoln Continental. Yes, I realize this is a FWD 4.6 V8 Continental; I do realize it has many, many gremlins such as air suspension that is prone to failure, and I do understand that the 4.6 is a chore to do maintenance on; I do realize many car freaks consider the styling to be bland, almost atrocious, and the wheel choices hideous. I don't care. I like this generation, and again, I have no idea why; it's some sort of strange attraction, if you can call it that. From the time I was about 7 or 8 I liked the styling of these. My favorite angle of these cars in the front 3/4 view. I am drawn to the headlight/grille/fender lines and I have no idea why. I also like the wheels on this model. I do realize they are some of the ugliest wheels Lincoln has dreamed up, but I like them. Same goes for the omgfwd layout. A bunch of people shun FWD "luxury" cars such as this and the Cadillac STS, but I dig em. On the Continental, though, I am drawn to silver or pine green ones; those two colors look right on it. No tan, no black, no white; pine green or sliver seems to be the best (dare I say sexiest?) color choices for this particular FWD barge. Oh, and the best part? I can feasibly buy a running one for $1500-$3000. I almost want to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got a 1999,and live in Surrey England.It's mid metallic blue with two tone cream interior and every damned extra you can think of.It looks like a "Jag on steroids",but goes like stink,and surprises a lot of hot shots.....and you could get four Golf GTi drivers in the trunk.Enjoy.