Sunday, March 10, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: MG B GT

I love finding British cars; most of them tend to have me cheating though. I go to a place where I know they'll be there by the dozens; Triumph TR6s TR4s and TR3s mostly, but every so often the occasional MG shows up. In most cases, the MG is a roadster, most likely an MGB. I hardly ever see the hardtops, and this is the very first one I can recall seeing in person. And with good reason.

While the MGB roadsters are fairly common, their hardtop counterparts are undoubtedly less so--and especially in the rust belt. These cars ( like a whole slew of other foreign cars) had unfathomable rust issues, and would seemingly rust right off the showroom floor--and unfortunately many did exactly that. 

I think in my whole tenure of car-spotting, I've only seen one other MG B GT and it was at a car show--and yes, it looks to be in this same condition.

I love this little guy! Not only is this the first GT I've seen in person, it's in fantastic condition to boot! Yes, the paint shade is a tad less than desirable, but honestly it's not a huge deal. The paint itself was in immaculate shape, with no evidence of any kind of body rot. All the correct trim is there, and the badges are intact as well. The only thing that I can say negatively about this one is the wheels aren't quite my style. I'd much prefer wire wheels.  Aside from that, this one is on point--a very quality coach if I say so myself.

I had fun shooting this one, and I hope to find an equally nice one again soon; I believe I shot this with an old Kodak point and shoot; I feel I could get better pictures with my new setup, but only if I re-find it, I can find out.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

Unless I'm mistaken, the side marker locations and the split rear bumper make it a 1970 model exactly. Nice example. I've always liked these cars. :)