Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Kansas City Street Sighting: Rambler Classic 770

When out carspotting, vehicles from the big three usually are the most common cars found; but in the land of very little rust (compared to Minnesota), surviving vehicles from other makes are alive and well--and I'm not talking imported makes either. Every so often, an AMC slips through the cracks here and there, and slowly but surely, vehicles from the brands' previous incarnation are becoming more and more common; its not every day I see a Rambler, much less one in the ghettos of Kansas City.

For those who don't know, the Ramber Classic is the midsize of the group, and 770 denoted that this one is the nicest vehicle in the lineup. I have no idea what engine powers this one, as there are a few engine choices, ranging from a six cylinder to a fire-breathing 290 cube V8. If it were up to me, I'd chuck a 390 in it, and go from there. But hey, not everyone wants a performance four-door; oddly enough, these Ramblers are more common, than say, a Fairlane four-door or a Biscayne four-door of the same year.

Odd, really, since the other two cars mentioned were probably more common when they were new. As with most cars, the more common they were, the less valuable they are, so most got pre-warranted death sentences by way of demolition derbies and simply driven into the ground.  Quite a bit of the remaining Ramblers I see (and I don't even see that many) are is fairly good condition, especially considering their age.

 I spotted this one from a cross-street, and I assumed it was going to be a total beater--and I was wrong. Yes, it does have rust, and yes, the paint is fairly faded, but overall, this Rambler is a very nice survivor that would make for a relatively easy restoration.

The trim and hubcaps are still in place, and surprisingly blemish-free; as expected, forty-plus years of winter have taken their toll, as there is a minimal amount of body rot; overall, this is one of the nicer 1960s vehicles I have seen, especially considering that this example comes from a non-mainstream manufacturer.

I had immense fun shooting this, as its one of very few Ramblers I've even seen; I have to admit I was a tad scared, seeing as this one was in the ghetto, but I think I did okay here.

No comments: