Thursday, March 14, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford F-100 Sport Custom

When I am in Kansas, seeing old trucks is no hard feat; in fact, I usually don't shoot them anymore when I'm back in Lawrence. In Minneapolis, it's another story entirely; I hardly ever see trucks older than say, 1990 or thereabouts, and when I do, they're covered in either rust or bondo--or both. Chalk that up to hard use combined with hard weather. Most of the surviving trucks I do see are post-1980 Fords and 1973-1987 GM trucks, but usually never of the previous bodystyle for either brand.Lately, I've been seeing a slow resurgence of older Fords--and why shouldn't I be? After all, the F-Series is the current best selling vehicle in the US, and has been for over thirty-five years. Trucks like this are becoming more and more scarce, and I don't think I've ever seen one in this condition in Minneapolis--and that's saying something.

This truck, near as I can tell is a 1970 to 1972; as it is badged a Sport Custom; that trim-line was introduced in 1970, and the trucks were redesigned in 1973, so that leaves two model years with which it could be; I've never really been a fan of these trucks, but I do admire the fact that someone decided to preserve this bodystyle; to me, the facelift with the square front-end is better suited to this styling, as opposed to the round headlights that looked jammed into the holes.

As time goes on, I will likely appreciate these more and more, but for now, this bodystyle is very low on my radar as far as bloggable trucks go.



As I said, I don't really like this bodystyle; that's not to say that this one isn't a nice example, because it is. I dig the two-tone treatment, and from what I've seen outside of Minnesota, the two-tone was fairly common, as most surviving trucks are two-tone. I like greens and blues, and this two-tone green looks fairly awesome. I also like how all the trim and and badges are correct, and I am greatly impressed (and somewhat amused) by the lack of rust.

I know the wheels and rear bumper are not original, but I don't really care; I like both here, and they add a very 1980s feel to this classic Ford; in fact, both pieces were probably put on in the 1980s to freshen up this rig, and honestly, they look good today.   I would change nary a thing about this F-100; I like it the way it is, and I don't really like this bodystyle.

I am glad I shot this, because I haven't seen it around recently; I hope its in good hands or is at least being taken care of, wherever it is.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

This truck is a 1971 model. 1970 had a divided grille with black eggcrate and '72 had a single vertical grille bar on each side. 1971 has two vertical bars on each side like this truck. I quite like it; just needs that dent in the hood fixed.