Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lawrence Street Sighting: Plymouth Belvedere II

While finding classic cars is fairly hard in the Twin Cities, such cars are far more accessible in Lawrence; however, scouring through the cliched pickups and various Chevrolet and Ford four-doors from the late 1970s to present can be time consuming; in my trips back to the town I grew up in, I've begun to notice a slight extinction of non-mainstream classic cars.

When I was little, 1960s cars were quite a bit more common then they are now, and old Mopars were almost a once-per-two block occurance; now, spotting old Mopars is getting to be rather tricky, as they don't hold up as well as contemporary GMs and Fords; why I say that is because all the ones I see in Minnesota have extensive rust damage, whereas the Fords and GMs do not. 

I have trouble dating these cars, but the closest I can come up with is 1967, as it does not have the same front end treatment as a Roadrunner, but the front does look similar to the hotted-up GTX;  this car is a Belvedere II, a midrange model with probably a six cylinder or even a 318; when these were new, they probably didn't stand out, but now... I gawk at cars like this, not only because they're not common, but because these Plymouths look so much better than the crap churned out in the 1980s and 1990s.


This example, like the Rambler I posted yesterday is pretty clean. Oddly enough, styling of these two cars is quite similar towards the back; the rear fascias definitely look similar. Aside from that, though, the idea of preserving a four-door seems kind of odd--but more and more four-doors are popping up in good condition, but only in Kansas.

The paint of this example, for all I know, could be original and untouched; it's got no clearcoat, but it isn't faded beyond all repair; the minimal, chrome, too is in great shape, even on the often-ruined mirrors. The grille and front fascia is in impeccable shape, and shows no evidence of even meeting bugs or birds. The hubcaps, too, are in awesome shape; I've never seen a set of forty-plus year old base hubcaps on a car intact, much less still shiny.

I really liked shooting this old Plymouth, and this car is proof that Lawrence is still awash in old cars--I just need to find them.


No comments: