Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lawrence Street Sighting: Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Here in Lawrence, much like Minneapolis, older Cadillacs are fairly common if one knows where to look; since most of the population in Lawrence is elderly when school isn't in session, classic cars are much easier to find in acceptable condition. I have a thing for pre-1977 Cadillacs, but I have specific years I go after. While the 1966 to 1968 cars aren't quite my cup of tea, I respect them for what they are.

Based on the combination of front fascia and hubcaps, I have pinned this one down to a 1968 model, although I am probably wrong; what's odd though, is during my research, I never found any models called only Fleetwood, but there is no other designation on this particular car. I can only conclude that this car is actually a Sixty Special Fleetwood Brougham? How's that for a name as long as the car itself; I gotta say this is a pretty intimidating looking car, I would not want to meet this in a dark alley. While I generally don't like this generation, I give the owner credit for keeping this old 'lac presentable. 

 As most would expect, this Fleet is in pretty good condition, especially considering its age; while the car has minor evidence of surface rust hiding under the vinyl roof, the rest of the surface is pretty good. The chrome is in great shape, showing almost no signs of actual wear; oddly enough, or not so odd, the hubcaps are free of any curbing, dents or any other infractions.

My favorite angle for these Cadillacs is the rear quarter; I honestly never cared for the post-1964 pre-1969 front end; I realize it is still a Cadillac, buf this generation never really had an elegant fascia; the 1969 restyle fixed all that for me.

Nevertheless I still had fun shooting this example; I found it on Google maps, and was kinda iffy on whether or not it would still be at its house. My luck proved right, as I did actually find it at the address that Google promised.

No comments: