Monday, March 25, 2013

Lawrence Street Sighting: Ford Mustang Mach 1 Twister Special

Even though classic Mustangs are not very common, even in Kansas, I see so many at car shows that I almost don't care about them anymore. But, sometimes there's a rare occurrence that I do take pictures of such a vehicle; such is the case here. The first thing that's noticeable about this particular Mustang (aside from the black stripe) is the tornado painted on the rear quarter panels--which are actually part of the body.

The tornado represents the "Twister Package" only available on Mach 1s sold in--you guessed it--"twister alley"--and there were very few made, much less surviving. What makes this one so cool is the fact that its a legit, one-owner car and has done less than 30,000 miles at the time this pictures were taken; it has lived its whole life in Lawrence, and was purchased new at what is now Laird Noller Ford in April of 1970. Since then, it's only been driven on nice cars, and rumor has it (from the owner himself) that there's another one floating around Lawrence, because he owned two of them at one point.

I desperately want to find the other one, even if it turns out to be a shell of its former self.

This thing is absolutely mint; not a scratch nor a paint chip anywhere to be found; the paint is glossy, as one would expect, and the original "Twister" accents are still in place, and are in excellent shape. The wheels, too, show no sign of even being used, and even the often-faded window louvers are still in top-notch shape.

Seriously, this is probably the best classic Mustang I have seen in quite a while--and to top it off, it's quite a rare beast to boot. I am glad I found this, and I wish I would've gotten more pictures; I will definitely cherish this find for a long time.

No comments: