Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Mercedes 230SL












I love spotting a classic Mercedes. There's just an essence about a Mercedes that screams elegance, and class; a roadster/convterible even moreso than its hardtop brethren. While the mid 1980s SL roadsters did me good for awhile, a got bored of them rather quickly. It's not that I don't like them--I do. But, there's something about the SL that makes them prettier with age. The new one is ugly-- and it will always be so. My favorite SL is probably the first generation one-- but I have no chance in hell of seeing one streetside, so for now its a fantasy. I do like the second generation model, as shown here.
From what I can see, this particular example has a host of European trim pieces fitted, and it looks better for it. While I enjoy these in darker colors, the cream on this looks downright classy. It scream richness, without being too ostentatious-- yet it isn't bland either. With the color coding on the wheels, this whole car gives off a royal vibe; something that often isn't said about cream vehicles. This car looks as at home sitting in front of a fancy hotel as it does parking amongst city traffic. To prove my point, as I was shooting this, I counted at least seven people (none who I could gather were car people) stop what they were doing, and come over and stare at this beautiful convertible and admire the details.
Looking at this particular generation of SL, it's no wonder where MBZ's current design language comes from; I quite like it, but I think this fasica should be left alone. Just because this is one of the more beautiful vehicles in Benz's heritage does give the company a right to glorify this generation (or bastardize it depending on your point of view) by plastering this grille on damn-near everything they churn out nowadays.
Is this car a memorable sighting? Most certainly. Am I happy I shot it? You bet your ass I am! Would I look back on a 2011 SL550 with this same vibe in ten or so years? I quite doubt it.

No comments: