Sunday, July 10, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevy Impala sedan











Usually, when I find classic cars near uptown, they're either blinged, restored, or in awful shape; this Impala is different. As you can clearly see, the whole thing is caked with about an inch of dust. What strikes me as particularly odd, however, is the fact that surround cars were in the same "condition"; this isn't really a hidden street, nor is it out of view of the main road. I'm kinda curious why everything appear so barren, especially a block from a major thoroughfare. Enough wondering about the street this long-forgotten Detroit beast is resting on.
From a slight distance, I thought this thing would be a typical bondo-laden wondering awaiting 24s and some godawful paint color; upon closer inspection, it appears to just need a bit of TLC. While defintely not in showroom shape, the body doesn't look too far gone, either. The emblems are intact, the baby moons could be buffed out (cliche expression, I know.), and the body looks relatively straight. One curiousity gets me though. Why is it debadged, and is it going to stay in this condition? Under the grime and pollen and whatever else is clogging up the paint, I'm sure this could be a really nice car, even if the baby moons are a bit too "old" for this particular sedan.
I would really like to seeing this thing freshened up, and given a worthy detailing job and new wheels; maybe Keystone mags? For the paint, I'd probably leave it flat black, and maybe clean up the chrome trim a tad. Maybe.. just maybe.. I'd nightshade the taillights too? Either way, this thing could look really sweet if it had a little bit of needed love. Here's hoping it doesn't sit through the summer and eventually succumb to winter.

No comments: