Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac Fleetwood











So, new year, new street sightings, and what a sighting this is. This Cadillac Fleetwood has to be one of my favorite sightings ever: I hardly ever see anything bloggable in Minnesota's long, slow winters, let Cadillacs of this vintage. Second, unlike some of my finds, this shoot didn't result in a nasty confrontation with a wary owner, and third, traffic along Lake street (well, all two cars out at the time) stopped so I could carry on with my business.
First off, I must say, I have mixed feelings about the condition of this barge. Sure, it has collector plates, but jeez. I don't know whether to call the faded, chipped paint and rotten chrome patina or dilapidated. I do know that it strikes an odd balance, and certainly makes this example of a long-forgotten motoring era stand out in a crowd of modern generica that infects my neighborhood.
While the general condition of the paint (or lack thereof) is noted, the interior suffers the same fate. With 45 years under its belt, this once-luxurious car is going to need a boatload (sorry, bad pun) of extensive work to be returned to its former glory. Granted, it still has a lone factory hubcap, but still. This thing needs a lot of work.
However, needing copious amounts of work is no bad thing; this particular Cadillac looks like a vehicle in a horror movie. More specifically, a vehicle that would be right at home haunting a family in a late 1980s Ford Taurus wagon. Okay, maybe that's just a generic "cliche movie hell" scene from my imagination, but still.
I enjoyed seeing this car, and I had a lot of fun shooting it. Next time I'm on the prowl for older cars, I just may shoot more and more not-quite pristine cars. They sure are fun to write about, without having second thoughts about the imagery that occurs as a result of my vivid descriptions.

No comments: