Sunday, April 25, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Acura NSX












I have a soft spot for Japanese cars, and since I love sporty/sports cars to boot, I thought this Acura NSX was a perfect candidate.
Introduced in 1989 as Honda's (and Japan's) answer to Ferrari, the NSX forwent typical V8 or V12 power in favor of a 3.2L V6 engine. Like most other supercars, it was rear-wheel-drive. A lot of people dismiss NSXs as being poseurs, or "lame", stating that they'd rather have a "real sports car".
To me, though, that's why I like em. Honda has a well-proven history in motorsports outside of the US, and like Toyota used to do, Honda made race-oriented models of their cars as well. In case the bog-standard NSX wasn't brash enough for you, the Type R was introduced overseas. Sadly, the Type R, like most of Honda's good offerings, never came to the US, due to absurdly high projected price. At $84,000 in 1999, the Type R would've added $11,000 more to the price, thus rendering it a near-$100k Honda.
This example was in great shape, showing little signs of modification, which usually means it wasn't driven hard. The paint and body was in excellent shape, showing no signs of repaints or decals. The wheels were stock fare, again, which are telltale signs that this example is likely babied and not treated like the race-car it could very well be. Again, the interior was bog standard as well. And I like it that way. I'd rather see one of these kept in pristine shape than turned into another track monster. I mean, yeah, I love full-out track cars, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

1 comment:

richphotos said...

Awesome shots dude. You are getting better with the cam. Did you see the Rolls Silver Cloud at Lake Calhoun? I got a couple shots of it in my most recent post. Great shots!