Sunday, December 6, 2009

Minneapolis Street Sightings: Lotus Elan






With the arrival of winter in Minnesota, the nice cars are slowly being put away for the next few months, but that doesn't stop me from going outside and snagging what I can before the elements do me in. As luck would have it, this little Lotus is my first real "winter sighting". Sure, I shoot cars on a daily basis, but very rarely do I find blogworthy cars. For a winter sighting, this is pretty good. I don't even see these in the summer time.
One the surface, this Elan appears to have weathered the storm pretty well. Upon closer inspection, though, this little Brit is in pretty rough shape. Driveable, yes, but it's far from Concours quality. The paint, while appearing pretty nice, is sadly in poor shape. The finish is pitted in more places than it's smooth, and finish is rather dull. The trim and badges are all in decent shape, save for the "Lotus" script on the trunklid, which seems to be all but gone. The interior was in decent shape, however, I didn't really spend too much time pouring over it to be sure. My main peeve of this once-classic British roadster is the fact that it was burning oil as it drove away. Such a shame, really, because a little sportser like this warrants a true enthusiast. I hope this one gets restored for the sake of (sorry Mini) Happy Motoring.

No comments: