Saturday, November 28, 2009

Minneapolis Street Sightings: Ford Torino sedan











Usually, when one thinks of a Ford Torino, images of that blasphemy from Starsky and Hutch comes to mind. Now, I have nothing against Starsky and Hutch as a show, but I rank the Torino up there with the thousands of General Lee clones made from Chargers. Cool, but at the same time cliche to the point where Hutch clones almost suck as much as Dukes of Hazzard clones. Almost.
This particular Torino I've seen before but never gotten the chance to get up close and personal until a few months ago. I was riding in a new part of Minneapolis, searching for more bloggable cars, when low and behold, this guy popped up. I'd seen this car at a gas station the previous week, and I knew it was worthy feature should I see it again.
The paint on this Torino is almost spotless, considering its age. It does have a few dents and rough spots, but considering it's a 30+ year old car in rustville, it's expected. Not only is the paint clean, all the chrome and trim is intact, including the dealer plaques. How's that for neat? Not very often you see an older car with the dealer plaques still affixed to the trunklid. Even the hubcaps were present, and in good condition.
The interior wasn't in all that terrible condition either. The driver's side had a few rips and tears in the upholstery, but being a 30+ year old driver, wear and tear is expected. Certainly, the owner (or owners) have babied this car, and treated it like they would a family member. Kudos to them for keeping this old fellow on the road for so long, and letting it survive our harsh winters.
Like many cars I've blogged, I hope I don't get to watch this Torino deteriorate because the owners can't take care of it. If the Torino does go the way of the junkyard in the sky, I claim the badges and hubcaps. But, I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon.

No comments: