Thursday, September 18, 2008

Minneapolis Street Sightings: Jeep Grand Wagoneer













Back when the SUV market was actually about functionality rather than how much tech you can cram into a truck (or car)-based wagon, there were very few luxury SUVs available in the states. The Range Rover, the Suburban twins, and the Grand Wagoneer were about the only utility vehicles than emphasized luxury over sport. But, unlike today's luxury SUVs, these vehicles actually were sometimes taken off road. You certainly won't find Mr. and Mrs. Urban taking their $79,000 Lexus LX570 off road, and no one dare get their new Jeep Cherokee muddy.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer was made 1963 to 1993, but this bodystyle was made from 1978 to 1991. When the Jeep Wagoneer became a Grand Cherokee trimline in 1992, I lost all hope for a real Jeep. In 1984, the square headlight models came out, as a successor to the round headlight guys which were produced from 1963 to 1974 round headlight vehicles, built by Willys and Kaiser. The AMC model years, which later became the Chrysler powered vehicles, ran from 1974 onward, switching to Chrysler powered and engineered vehicles in 1978. By the end of its run in 1991, the original Wagoneer cost nearly $24,000 (up from $10,500 in 1981) and had parts from GM (steering column and transmission), Ford (carbs and fuel pumps, and electronic controls such as AC, heat, etc.) and was still powered by the good ole Chrysler derived 360 V8.

My first impression of this Wagoneer was an immense shock at how clean it was. Not one single rust spot, not one major flaw in the paint, and even the interior looked clean, too. I walked around the truck in amazement. I've never seen one these clean. Ever. Even Idaho didn't bring them as clean as this guy. I can only hope that it stays in this shape as long as it can, however, I am sad that it doesn't appear to be used as it should, which is why I'm torn. I love old trucks, and love them to be working, but at the same time, my jaw drops in amazement at a rust free example like this immaculate guy. If this one was for sale, it could easily fetch $25 or $30k, depending on miles and options. If it was an older truck, prices could easily double. So next time I see a Wagoneer for sale for under $10k, I'll want to check it out. Even if I lack funds to make it my own.

No comments: