Saturday, March 27, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: BMW E12 530i












Long before cars became bloated, tech-filled monstrosities, owning a German car meant you had were rich, sophisticated, and most of all, you had taste. Like its contemporary rivals, this 1970s BMW is classy, yet understated at best. A complete opposite of today's 5 Series, which screams yuppie. Again, like its contemporary competitors.
I was thrilled to spot this classic BMW, since I really don't see many foreign classics. When I do, they're in rough shape, so this was a nice surprise. Okay, so it's not perfect, but still. The paint is in decent daily-driver condition, and the upholstery is in the same condition. As with the paint, the trim and badges are all correct, and all intact. Quite a feat for a vehicle that goes through the hell that we Minnesotans call winter.
As with most German cars of this vintage, I'd gladly sport it. And like many other German cars of this vintage, I wouldn't modify this one. I like it how it is. Okay, maybe I'd clean up the paint and interior, and lower it a smidgen, but overall it's a nice piece. Quite a shame that I haven't seen it driving around, though, because that's what BMW stood for when this 530i was built: The Ultimate Driving Machine. And, unlike today's models, this 530i is quite possibly a good driver's car.

No comments: