Saturday, March 20, 2010

2010 Minneapolis Auto Show: What's New From Japan

Yeah, I know this is a little late. The auto show is all but over, but I have one last category to fill. I've covered the significant updates from America, Germany, and Korea. Now it's Japan's turn. Unfortunately, nothing much is new from Japan's major automakers--at least not much I cared about enough to document. Honda has a whole lineup of ugly, as does its luxury subsidiary Acura. Toyota and Lexus are involved in a massive recall, so of course they didn't have much on display either. Nissan, surprisingly, along with its luxury counterpart Infiniti, had a relatively weak display, too. Even my favorite Japanese maker, Mazda, had a relatively tame display this year. But, I did have favorites out of the lot though.




While the Nissan stand was relatively tame (I didn't even photograph the GT-R), I did notice the Nissan Cube Krom. While not exactly my favorite trim-line, this model is unfortunately significant, as it represents the first iteration of Nissan's latest trim package. With the Krom, you get what you see here: exclusive "Krom" badging, chrome plated versions of base wheels (or hubcaps if you're lucky), chrome grille slats, and an aero kit. Also available on the Rogue, this package is honestly the worst attempt at factory "tuning" ever. Not only is it tacky, at the near-$3000 premium over the next top model, it seems to be quite the waste of money, too. I'm not buying it, and I'm wondering how many actual Nissan customers will even want such a package. My guess is not many, since I haven't seen one on the road yet.

Next up is the Mazda 2. A near exact twin of Ford's Fiesta, this new little Mazda slots under the 3 to take Mazda's spot in the uber-econocar battle. Available this summer, the 2 provides Mazda fun at a smaller size, and to a (hopefully) younger audience. To promote the 2 as a sporty car, Mazdaspeed has already developed prototypes running their parts. Mazda hopes the 2 will bring to Mazda what Scion did for Toyota--provide a factory tuning base so customers can modify their cars without voiding the warranty. I am a fan of such a program, and I hope Mazda does well. Since Ford is introducing a Fiesta EcoBoost, it's possible that Mazda will introduce a Mazdaspeed version as well. I think this is the car will finally prove small is the new big.


Also on the Mazda front is the Mazdaspeed3. While not exactly new, the Mazdaspeed3 represents FWD speed at its finest-at least in the USA. Packing 263 horses and a limited-slip differential, this is a FWD rocket. Although it's fast, and quite quick, it suffers from typical FWD understeer when pushed. Although it's not apparent in day-to-day driving, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of this hot hatch's limits.


About the only thing worth looking at on the Toyota display was this new 4Runner SCORE truck. Used in off-road racing, this new 4Runner based race-truck represents Toyota's return to motorsports. Although the return came at kind of an ironic time, I do wish Toyota success. With all the recalls and consumer shunning, the company needs all the hope it can get right now, and based on the reviews I've read, this new 4Runner is one of the company's better efforts in recent years. I just hope the new 4Runner does as well on showroom floors as it did out in the desert.

No comments: