Saturday, March 6, 2010

2010 Minneapolis Auto Show: First Thoughts

Okay, so today is the first real day of the 2010 Minneapolis Auto Show, and I'm feeling lukewarm about it. First off, 2010 isn't really the best year for cars,and alot of what I like, I've already made effort to see. Secondly, I am beginning to hate new cars more and more, so we'll see.
There are a few cars I'm anticipating though, from the least likely makers. I'm not even gonna worry about Honda and Acura, I don't really care for Subaru, and I'm not one wee bit interested in Toyota, Scion, or Lexus (okay maybe the some particular versions of some of their cars, but as a whole, no.) I could care less about Chryslancia, but that's beside the point.
What I'm coming to see is the new Buick Regal and LaCrosse. Wait. Buick? Yes, I really did say Buick. The new LaCrosse looks incredible. Whether or not it's a good thing, it does have some shades of BMW E60 in it. The Regal looks good, too. It's an Opel Insignia, so it has some (obvious) Euopean flair. Also in the GM stable, I'm excited for Cadillac. I know the CTS is damn near 3 years old now, but it's still a good looking car. I am literally in love with the wagon version, and don't get me amped up on thoughts of CTS-V wagon.
Next up is Ford. Since they began reintroducing the Turbo to their lineup, the whole line got that much more interesting. I don't care for the Mustang, though, which may come as a shock. What I want to get more of is the Ford Flex, specifically the EcoBoost version. Any vehicle that seats 7+ and can get through the quarter mile under 14 seconds deserves praise. I want to see how comfortable it really is, inside and out. Oh, and I want to peek under the hood, too.
The biggest surprise (and this was warranted last year, too) is Hyudai and Kia. Since 2006, they've made a HUGE stride in quality while maintaining quantity. I'm excited to see the whole lineup, from the Genesis coupe to the all-new Sonata. Kia has the Forte Koup, which is, as its name implies a coupe version of the new Forte sedan. I'm also excited for the new Sorrento, and hopefully new Sportage as well. Since ex-Audi designer Peter Schreyer, Kia has been adding a slight spice of German design influence to their cars. Totally not expected, but in way, I guess it was expected.
Anyway, watch this spot tonight for pictures, rants and raves, oh and honest- unbiased reviews and critiques of the new 2010 models.