Monday, September 29, 2014

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Saab 900 Turbo

When enthusiasts think of performance cars of the 1980s,  especially European brands, images of the BMW E30 and E28 frequently come to mind; for Mercedes, the venerable 190E 2.3-16 and 560SEC spring to mind. Obviously, so do the stereotypical Porsches, Ferraris and what have you.

But there's another brand that's quickly forgotten. Well, two, really, but this post will focus on one of those two.  Introduced in 1978, the Saab 900 is the quessential "classic" Saab, as its the vehicle that draws up the most recognition--at least among non-Saabophiles. I am a "newbie" at Saabs, so admittedly, the 900 (especially the first generation) is the first car that springs to mind to me. And like Volvo 240s, I consider the Saab 900 to be somewhat of a timeless car.

In the 1980s, the first age of downsizing was at its finest; the popularity of forced induction was at its peak in the US, and would remain so for at least thirty years. Small displacement engines, coupled with turbochargers were the norm, and the result was good performance (for the time), combined with decent fuel economy (again, for the time), and Saab was still carving out their niche in the US.

Packing a turbocharged four cylinder that generates a fairly decent 143 horses, the Saab 900 has performance that is likely on par with a normally aspirated Ford Focus today; my how the times have changed. But since the Saab is lighter, and is marketed as a drivers' car, it probably would be more of a treat for someone behind the wheel--and obviously saying "I drive a Saab Turbo" sounds way cooler than saying "I drive a Focus." Right?

The Saab 900 would serve both the luxury, and sport niche fairly well, depending on which model you chose and what options were ordered; however, the 900s that still remain as survivors here in the rustbelt all seem to have one thing in common-- they're forced induction models, and they're slowly appreciating.

 
This particular car is a neighborhood fixture, as its been spotted outside of several local businesses; I waited until I saw the vehicle with no distraction beside it, and this photoset is the result. Okay, in hindsight, the pictures could be a little bit better, but there's no going back.

I would've really liked to find a green or perhaps a dark blue one, but the light gunmetal example I found is nice, especially for a car that calls the rustbelt home; complimenting the paint color are a variation of the popular Saab three-spoke them, and I happen to like these wheels slightly better than the other version offered on the 900.

Inside, the typical Saabness shown through in oh-so-1980s tan leather; if I remember correctly, this vehicle was indeed equipped with a 5 spd, which is probably the best idea for the 900 yet. I don't recall any other details about this particular car's interior, unfortunately, as I was in a bit of a hurry.

I would love to shoot another 900 again; maybe I'll opt for a four-door or a convertible next?

No comments: