Monday, September 15, 2014

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Dodge Rampage 2.2

In the 1980s, very few automakers would have the sales success that Chrysler did with its minivan; unfortunately, not all of Chrysler's 1980s vehicles would be as successful (and revolutionary) as their K-car line was. Introducing the L-body; these vehicles included such hits as the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon, and its coupe sibling, which went by more than one name in its short little life.

Along with the hatchback coupes, Chrysler also trotted out a minitruck (presumably to compete with Volkswagen (hmm.. where have we heard that before?) but... it didn't. In fact, it was shelved after two years. It's a wonder Chrysler even tried the minivan at all, seeing how their previous two niche vehicles (the Omni O24/Horizon/Turismo/TC3 and its truck brethren) failed so miserably.

Before I discuss the actual vehicle at hand, let me give a brief rundown of the history of this obscure minitruck. In 1982, the idea for a car-based front-wheel-drive pickup was running rampant at Chrysler, and this probably has to do with the success of Volkswagen's efforts; never mind that VW supplied diesel engines for Chrysler, so Volkswagen probably did help conceive this idea. This little trucklet came out for that model year, but alas was gone by model-year 1984. With a production lifespan that short, one would think that these should be pretty rare, and that's correct. Less than 35,000 were sold, making this a fairly uncommon vehicle--especially in the rustbelt.

Normally, I give "modern"  Chryslers more passing glances than probably deserved, but this was different; I have never seen one of these before. The only Rampage I have ever seen is likely the cleanest version I will ever see. Sure, the paint was faded, but look on the bright side--it had no real rust--much less surface rust.

The big 2.2 badges, and side decals were the epitome of the 1980s, all that it wrought on the auto industry; these graphics were so cheesy, I couldn't help but love them. Ditto goes for the wheels; no, the weren't as bad as hubcaps, but that design--just look at it. Yeesh. Oh, well, at least they were the original units for this little guy.

Like the exterior, the interior was as close to mint as a 30 year old working vehicle could have been; I didn't recall any rips or tears on the read/gray/black upholstery, and from what I did remember, though, the dashboard's topmost panel was cracked in several places, suggesting that this particular vehicle came from a sun-heavy climate, perhaps the west-coast?

I have only seen one of these things, ever, and boy did I see a good one. I had my doubts that I would ever see one, and lo-and-behold, one popped up. Sadly, this Rampage marks the first and last one I will ever see.

No comments: