Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford pickup

Over my years of car spotting, I have only recently noticed a severe drop in classic trucks, much less rust-free example of classic trucs. To me, a "classic truck" is a pickup whose design has not only stood the test of time, but one whose design is almost instantly recognizable as belonging to certain brand. The '75-79 Ford pickups fit both criteria quite well.
From an early age, I grew fond of this bodystyle, and as I got older and grew more appreciative of certain vehicles, my love for this bodystyle grew even more. I like this trucks best in two-tone schemes, so I was sort of pleased when I noticed this truck--but this sighting wasn't as rosy as it initially appeared.
I have always liked the idea of a "sport truck"; however, this idea is likely best left to factories and well established tuners, not Joe Blow and his garage. As a moderate enthusiast of Ford trucks, I was a tad saddened by this. I never really like to this generation customized, and this one borders on the tacky side of things.



Up close, this truck saddened me; first off, the condition isn't as great as it initially appeared. The paint appeared originally, with a dash of redneck-repair. Flat in spots, glossy in others--and that's just the start. The mesh taillight accents, combined with the cheesy visor make for a terrible combination of add-ons. The fender flares only add to the ridiculousness. It really is a sad-looking truck in person. I'm less than impressed with the--dare I say it--riceyness of this example. On the uspide, Cragar SS wheels are always a good choice; the diameter and combination of tires is a great choice too. Unfortunately, the rest of the truck sucks.
I love these trucks, but unfortunately, I would not drive this one. The owner ruined what once was a very classy truck. Ditch the body mods, keep the rolling stock, and beef up the engine, and then we'll talk. Until then, keep on trukin', Cletus.

No comments: