Thursday, January 17, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Bentley Turbo R

I can't help it; I love finding rare and off-the-wall stuff. I usually expect to see pre-1960s Bentleys--because, well, they're collector cars more than anything. Post 1980s Bentleys are fairly rare here, unless the Bentley is a Continental or any of its derivatives. Even then, Bentleys are far and few between here. So I was stunned when I spotted this out of the corner of my eye.

I got closer, and realized that not all is what it at first seemed; shiny, the paint was not. Chrome, the trim--again--was not. And not all the centercaps were present, either. Surely, this once-noble motorcar has seen better days--and hopefully it will return to those better days.


As I mentioned above, spotting this one was a real treat; I hardly ever see these, much less in dilapidated condition, but hey--a Bentley is still a Bentley, and I will shoot accordingly. With weathered paint, and dull chrome--and godawful US spec headlights, this Bentley is far from a collector's car; and it has every right to be. Even as an enthusiast of British cars, I think these leave a little to be desired. I'm sure they're great luxury cars, but--like their newer counterparts--the styling doesn't leave anyone filled with very much emotion.

The rolling stock can't decide whether it wants to be sporty or luxurious, either. I'd rather a set of nice (but not generic) 5 spokes than these factory turds; sure, they look period--and I do mean period. This style of fat face and not much spokage was quite popular in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and even Bentley was immune. I guess shallow spokes and big surface meant classy? I mean, c'mon, in 2003, the Lexus SC430 had that basic style of wheel, and we all know what a classy car that was.

I would gladly drive this thing; first, I'd make sure all the maintenance is up to snuff, and give it a good Sunday wax, but I would still sport it. And for under $30k, an old Turbo R makes for a pretty nice budget Bentley, too.

2 comments:

Art Tidesco said...

Quality find, I was at an auction in the UK a couple of months ago and an '86 Bentley, not road legal but a runner went for $4,000, IF you can afford the maintenance that is a cheap car.

Pool Installation Stockton said...

I really enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing