Monday, November 26, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Ranger

I've always been a bit of a Ford fanboy when it comes to pickup trucks; granted, I like GM's offerings too, and a fair bit of Dodges offerings, but when it comes to domestic trucks, I fall into the Ford camp. Case in point--the Ranger. I've always liked it. I don't much care for the newest rendition, but the little truck looks great in any year, 1983 to 1992. There's something about the small Ford's styling that's got an edge over its GM competitor. Be it the "small F-150" styling cues, to the rear fenders and bedsides that looks great in almost any wheel/tire combination, or the front end with its eggcrate grille on the early trucks to the Explorer face of later first-generations--there's really no way to mess these up without visibly hacking them to bits.
Growing up in the rustbelt in the mid-1990s, the custom minitruck trend was in full swing; I saw hoards and hoards of these first-generation Rangers that have succumbed to ill-fitting wheels and tires, body modifications that look absolutely horrendous, and even worse yet, fitted with front clips and fascias from entirely different vehicles.
In Minnesota, things are vastly the opposite; as of 2012, the custom minitruck segment is all but dead, and the sheer amount of fully custom rides is quite staggering--at how uncommon it is. Most trucks of this era that have been modified are usually in various states of disrepair languishing behind a body shop, or used as second-vehicle transportation in lower-income areas. Better yet, some continue to roam the streets, their faded paint and curb-scuffed Billet wheels serving as a rolling testement to vehicle customization from about twenty years ago. But not all custom trucks are rolling reminders of what once was the mainstay in automotive trends.









I've always been a fan of the early Rangers, and despite the somewhat-iffy mods, this example looked pretty good.  I normally despise yellow--or any other bright/off colors on domestic pickup trucks, but not here.  The only two things on the exterior that I'm not really a fan of are the Mack (I think) hood ornament and the purple/blue/whatever stripe running the length of the truck. I mean.. c'mon.. yes, this looks badass for a Ranger, but it isn't quite ballsy enough for the hood ornament. I'm a sucker for Ansen (and lookalike) wheels on about anything pre-1990s and American Here, the wheels look awesome, and dramatically change the little truck's appearance.  I'd normally scoff at the side-pipes too, but here this minor piece of hot-rod nostalgia somehow...works. I can only hope that there's more than a 2.3L four and a 3 speed auto to back up the looks though.
As it stands, I'd probably drive it; I'd do burnouts in it, I'd get it sideways in the wet, I'd flog this little turd through every snowstorm I could; in other words, I'd hoon the hell out of it. Why? Because I can. And because a Ranger can take that abuse. 


No comments: