Thursday, November 1, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chrysler 300

Usually when car spotting, my findings end up being the GM variety, with a slight smattering of Fords. Lately, though, that's not been the case. Slowly but surely, vintage Mopars are popping out of the woodwork. Everything from Imperials to the ever-popular K-cars are coming out in droves. I recently stumbled upon quite the trove of vintage Chryslers, and I began appreciating these cars like never before. I have always enjoyed the true muscle cars like the Dodge Dart GTS, Plymouth Roadrunner, and of course the wing twins, the Dodge Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird. But, I recently started to take interest in Mopar's other cars; the forgotten Three Hundred. I know of the mid-1960s 300s, and I obviously know of the 2005 reincarnation of the famed 300C moniker. But there's another side of the famed 300 moniker. The later 1960s and 1970s cars were absolutely huge--not that there's anything wrong with that, though. I've always equated luxury barges with marques like Cadillac and Lincoln. Slightly down the luxury food chains are the middlemen, Buick, Mercury, and last but not least Chrysler; that's where the 300 comes in. Billed as a luxury car, the Three Hundred competed with cars such as Mercury's Grand Marquis two doors, Oldsmobile's Ninety Eight two doors. Although not as luxurious as the New Yorker or Imperial offerings, the big Chrysler still held its own in on road--and in the showroom. Unfortunately, thanks to derbiers, and frequent rusting along lower fenders and inside door jams, most of these big Chryslers are not a common sight on our roads anymore. Engine choices are a 400, or a 440, and these big barges could even be had a four-speed-stick. I'm sure shifting yourself in one of these would've been pretty fun. Heck, I don't think Chrysler even offers a stick shift car anymore aside from the Challenger. I bet this thing can really roast its tires, and knowing its hefty weight, I bet it does the whole sideways thing fairly well too.


 









I've never seen one of these up close in person until now; I quite like this. I'm always intrigued by new and interesting cars, and lately older Chryslers are tickling my fancy pretty well. Like most cars, the paint is pretty much shot--but hey, it appears original at least. The chrome appears intact, and not quite ruined either. It's rare that something this old (and something not saved as much) would be in decent condition, but it appears that the owner of this Three Hundred is intent on saving his car. I would be too were it mine.
The thing I like most about this big Chrysler is the mere fact that its a four-door hardtop. Pillarless doors are so damn cool, and they look so right on a big car. I hate sedans with actual B-pillars. To me, B-pillars only clutter up the lines of a car.  Another thing I quite like about this badass four-door is the fact that it doesn't need any dress up to look imposing. I can picture this thing--quite easily I might add--roaring down a desolate road 'Duel' style chasing and scaring motorists in random economy cars. Maybe even haunting a new Chrysler 200?
Who knows, maybe I can even find a dead 200 to blog-- if I care about it in twenty years.

No comments: