Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford LTD Landau Coupe











Most of the time when I see older Ford products, they're usually trucks, and on their last legs; not so with this one, as you can plainly see. What we have here is an extremely fine specimen of one of Ford's most successful "personal luxury coupes" this side of the Lincoln brand. Launched in 1965, the LTD moniker first appeared on upscale versions of the Galaxie sedan, and in 1967 it became its own model. This model line would continue until 1986 when the LTD name was initially dropped. In 1991, Ford stopped using the LTD moniker altogether, and the car was simply called the Crown Victoria.
This example is a third generation model, and based on select options, I have pinpointed this car as a 1975 LTD Landau model. With its hideaway headlights, chrome fender trim, and available fender skirts, this big Ford was at the top of the range in its heyday, and I can clearly see why; it's big, it's luxurious, and it's certainly not going to be mistaken for a Pinto anytime soon. With its wide range of engines, there's no telling which powerplant this beast packed, but I can guarantee you its a big V8 of some sort.
Like most classics I encounter on my scouting of the cities, I did the initial stop and stare, and a casual walkaround to make sure I don't run into any owners who may put up a fight with me shooting the car; there was none-- good. This thing was absolutely MINT; not a single speck of dust, dirt or any kind of road grime at all! I couldn't believe it! The black paint on this, combined with the minimal (but oh-so-kitschy) chrome makes for a wonderful throwback to the 1970s. Everything about this car-- the hubcaps, the fender skirts, the badging-- oozes complete class in a way no modern car can even come close. The only downside here is that I don't own it. Never have I lusted after a gigantic Malaise-Era Ford before, but W0W! I think this is as close to perfect as a 1970s Ford product gets as far as I'm concerned.
I can only hope I get to see more classics in this shape-- we car enthusiasts need to keep the flame burning somehow, and nice examples of normal cars are exactly what's needed to do so. So, enough with the Camaros and Mustangs, starting saving the big guys, too!

No comments: