Monday, May 23, 2011

Minneapolis Street Sighting: AMC Concord Limited








From about the mid 1950s to the mid 1980s, American Motors vehicles were seen a plenty here, whether it be an AMX, Hornet, or even an Eagle. Although they were a product of Kenosha, Wisconsin, it seems ages has gotten the better of the cars; they're even a rarity in Minnesota, likely due to a combinaton of harsh winters and not much in the way of rust protection. Though the newest AMCs, (the Eagles) are fast approaching 25 years old, it's the 1970-1980 cars I see most. I've seen a few Gremlins, and maybe one or two Pacers. The is the second or third Concord I've seen on our streets.
Judging by this example's wire hubcaps and badging, I'm going to say this one is a 1981 model, and it probably had the GM Iron Dookie (Duke) 2.5L 4 cylinder in it. EPA classified this vehicle as a compact at the time, so a four cylinder makes some sense, I suppose. When it was new, it got 23 city/34 highway MPG, though I doubt it gets even half that now, due to age and all. Also, when it was new, it competed with such exquisite competition by way of Ford's Fairmont, Chevy's Citation, and a car I bet no one's heard of.. the Oldsmobile Omega. Alas, like this AMC, virtually none of the other cars exist either. I'm guessing in 25 years, people will likely never see Focus' Cobalts/Cruzes, and Honda Civics?
While this car isn't quite in the best shape, it certainly is rather complete. Heck, it looks to be in worse shape than the one I saw at U-Pull-It last summer. Obviously, rust has gotten into the nooks and crannies like any other older vehicle in this state, but this particular Concord is pretty decent; it even sports the dealer plaque stating where this vehicle was purchased as a used vehicle. Considering that Whitaker Buick used to be located where Cheapos is now, I'd venture to say this car likely spent most of its life in this neighborhood-- I have seen it before, and this is the first time I've been able to appropriately shoot it.
With our tough winters, I can only hope this Concord lives long enough to get the collector plates it (probably) deserves. I know I wouldn't go out of my way to save this car, but who knows.. maybe someone will? Despite it being a rather mundane vehicle, this AMC represents a time in the auto industry where there were still independent makes sharing the streets with the mainstream brands.

No comments: