Friday, January 14, 2011

New Cars 2011: Chevy Tahoe LT








Every year, my father and I take a trip with another one of my car buddies. This year was our turn to go fly out to see him. Usually, despite the fact that we're car people, our rental cars don't really reflect that-- or do they? Over the past few years, we've had pretty bad luck with rental cars, no matter where we end up renting from. First off, we had a blue 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS with a rear driver's side door that wouldn't let me out. The following year greeted us with a burnt orange Suzuki SX4 AWD whose fuel gauge was so hopelessly inaccurate we ended up laughing at its reading by weeks' end. Next trip was a bright blue Suzuki Reno with a self-deflating tire-- among other minor niggles. This year, our vehicle of choice was a barely loaded Chevy Tahoe. Would our "bad-luck" experiences still hold true? Read on to find out.

GENERICALLY MAL-ENGINEERED

We reserved an SUV, seeing as we had 5 people and their luggage to cart around the Bay Area and LA for a week. When we got to SFO to pick the rental car, choices were slim. The two Jeep Grand Cherokees they had on the lot (which I preferred by a huge margin) proved to be a dud due to misplaced keys; then they showed us a Ford Expedition-- way too big, even for this lover of gargantuan old-world fuel-guzzling SUVs. After about 5 minutes of scanning the lot for anything else, the black Tahoe was ours for a week. Upon first inspection, this particular vehicle had likely been abused. For starters, it was never washed by whoever returned it judging by the mud caked inside the cargo hold, the door seams, and on the doorsills of all four doors. Even the aluminum wheels had their share of days-old grime caking the spokes.
As far as styling goes, there isn't really much to be said; it's a generic (not much of a) bargain-basement full-size SUV. Monotone paint, smallish wheels for its size, gaping grille, extremely out-of-character "Tahoe" lettering on the doors and tailgate. It honestly feels like it was designed aesthetically to be a rental car. There is honestly nothing outright dissatisfying in regards to the styling, nor does the styling evoke much in the way of positive comments.

SMALL THINGS COME IN BIG PACKAGES

You'd expect an SUV of this size to have mass quantities of room inside, no? I did too. Unfortunately, that was the complete opposite of reality. The front seat (technically a bench) was fine, provided you don't try to squeeze a middle passenger in (we didn't); headroom up front was generous for me, since I'm a rather small 5'1". My 5'10" father had adequate headroom, which is strange because even in the smaller cars we've rented, he's had a fairly good amount. Shoulder room and footwells are deep, too.
In back, though, that's where the trouble begun. Entrance and egress was rather difficult, even for me. I kept hitting my head on either the B-pillar or the front seat damn near every time I tried to find my way inside Chevy's second biggest SUV. Once inside, the discomfort continued; whoever designed the back seat can go to hell. Nonsupportive , in this case, is a merely adequate adjective. I'm convinced that the second row seat was designed simply by placing two pieces of foamcore on a set of seat-tracks and covering them in cloth. After I got situated, interior room was rather stingy; even at 5'1", my feet kept bashing into the front seat tracks, and every time we hit a bump or pothole, it felt like my legs were going to buckle at the knees. And no, sitting in the middle didn't dilute the sardine-can feeling. I honestly think I have more room to stretch out in our Infiniti FX45, and that's a much smaller (and lower) SUV.

SPORTY RIDE?

In a city of hills and often-unsmooth roads, this setup proved to be a disaster. Not only did the rear seat deliver an extremely bouncy ride, it was a ride that made me feel as if I was strapped in a swing every time the vehicle lurched forward on a hill-- definitely not an experience I'd like to live out day-to-day. On the highway, the unsettled ride was amplified tremendously; on paved roads, the Tahoe rode fine for a vehicle of this size. Once any change in surface entered the equation...oh boy. Axle hop was extremely prevalent, and the slightest change in road conditions resulted in repeated bounces for back-seat passengers. Up front, judging from my experience, the ride was better-- but only slightly so.
Another thing that peeved me was the seemingly hollow interior construction. Along Highway 1, particularly around curves, it seemed as if the rear doors would vibrate when the vehicle was turning. Not quite something I want to experience on a day-to-day basis either. Road noise was surprisingly muted, though. Instead, exhaust warble (and excessive drone at highway speeds) drowned out any notion of outside noise. I know this is a truck-based vehicle, but jeez. For a vehicle supposedly redesigned and re-engineered for 2007, it sure feels (and rides) extremely dated.

WHAT VEHICLES DOES CHEVY TAHOE MONEY BUY?

If you're smitten with the Chevy Tahoe, then by all means, buy one. I'll just laugh at you for it. For the $45k that gets you into a base Tahoe, you could have a much nicer appointed vehicle, even if you're buying new. If you absolutely need a 5 passenger SUV with decent room and towing capabilities, I suggest the new-for-2009 Chevy Traverse in AWD guise. While a tad bit smaller, it does everything the Tahoe does, but better, and gets more than 12 MPG while doing so. Along the lines of the luxurious crossover Traverse, I would try the Mazda CX-7 or maybe even the slightly larger CX-9. If you don't need a huge vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest a new 2011 Ford Explorer, in XLT AWD guise. Another seemingly strong competitor is the recently redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee. Buying slightly used can increase your value content. Under $40k is a great starting point for used higher-end SUVs. Vehicles like the BMW X5, Mercedes ML, VW Touareg, and Audi Q7, and even some models of the Porsche Cayenne. Granted, these will high undoubtedly higher repair costs should things go awry, but you'll feel better knowing you didn't pay retail for one new.
Going smaller will net you much more choices, too. We have an Infiniti FX45, and it does everything the Tahoe does-- but better. While the ride is sporty, and often time choppy, it feels more secure than the Tahoe, (ie you don't bounce four inches every time the vehicle hits a bump) and has much more space inside. I know what my $40 large would go to, and it definitely won't be a GMT-920.

1 comment:

Art Tidesco said...

Glad I am not the only one who feels the Tahoe is short on space and dated. When I was last in the US in '09 I had a couple of days in Alabama with an old Durango and a couple of days in Virginia with a '99 Tahoe for the size of vehicle I was unimpressed with the ergonomics of both but the Durango just came out on top, I felt relatively safe sitting in both vehicles at stand still but boy when the Tahoe started to move I was seriously wandering if it would not be safer to walk. The Tahoe does not even compare favourably against a 1972 Range Rover let alone anything else available on today's market. I wonder if these vehicles were designed on the night shift ?