Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Spectrum






I try to stray away from "mainstream" vehicle as much as possible here. With time marching on, cars that I grew up with are becoming less and less common by the day. I don't recall the last time I saw Spectrum, much less one as "nice" as this one; I realize it's quite the mundane vehicle, but as mundane as it is, it simply isn't common anymore.
Based on an Isuzu chassis/platform, the Spectrum was one of Chevy's deals with various Japanese makes to supply lowcost compact vehicles for sale under its nameplate. Like this Spectrum, Isuzu also developed the compact Geo Storm, and Chevy turned to fellow Japanese nameplate Suzuki to source compacts from as well. Despite being called a "gloomy" period for GM, these compacts had a fair share of the "economy market", at least as far as "domestics" are concerned. Here's where GM logic comes into play, though. Once a vehicle is established as a decent vehicle with a good sales record, it gets killed. For GM, the only car they seem to be concerned about is the Corvette, as far as sales go.
Since I am a "90s baby"-- I was born in '88 but really only remember the 1990s, I remember these things being everywhere; there were two on my street alone. Then in 2000 or so, it seemed that they all vanished out of thin air. I went from seeing a crapload to seeing maybe one or two a month; now I'm lucky to see that a year.
What you see above you could very well be a "mint" Spectrum; these cars are not collector by any means, and they're certainly not my favorite. Solely based on the fact that this example shows no rust is good enough for me-- I don't even hate the cliched 1980s GM sky/baby blue color. Nor do I care that this car seems to have had a little run in up front.
I didn't peek inside, because--well honesty I won't even try to doctor this. A 1980s compact car interior isn't really that noteworthy, and I doubt this Spectrum could convince me otherwise. I think my favorite thing about this example is the startling fact that A) there is no rust present and B) the factory steel wheels are still on it and not covered up with crappy hubcaps.
All in all, while this isn't a terrible exciting car, it brought me back to my childhood days when these cars will still quite common. I shot it only on the assumption that I may never see another one again, and my assumption may have been tragically right.

No comments: