Saturday, June 19, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Volvo Amazon wagon






It's been awhile since I've featured a Volvo; despite my knowledge of various Amazons in the city, I've only been able to shoot this one. While most are in sort of banged-up, beater shape, this particular example is far from it. I don't know if this is a show-worthy example, but it's one of the nicer ones I've seen.
Finished in a very faint green color, this wagon has probably the best fit and finish of any classic Volvo I've seen in person. No panel gaps, no sagging doors, the fenders are straight, and best of all, no rust peering out from underneath.
The wheels are in outstanding shape, too, and unlike half of the "drivers" I see, this one sports the original Volvo caps instead of the all-too-common no-namers. I'm glad this example is sporting the original hubbies. If it wasn't, I don't think I would've shot it to be honest.
Like the PV544, the Amazon is a classic design that remains popular with a wide range of people. In Europe, both the 544 and Amazon are turned into hot rods and "rat rods", and I'd like to see it done more here. Sure, these cars look great when stock, but how bout in flat back with red steelies and a surfboard. It'd be an interesting alternative to a Beetle or GM/Ford station wagon, that's for sure.

No comments: